Virtualization has profoundly impacted all facets of the data center including storage requirements. In the modern data center, the storage tier must support the shifting needs of virtual servers and virtual desktops that can be brought into or out of existence in an instant. This has impacted the SAN server market as we have seen the emergence of the “virtual SAN server”. The most prominent of these technologies is VMware® Virtual SAN™ (VSAN), which implements a SAN server-like storage layer optimized for VMware virtualized environments.
VSAN: SAN Server Benefits and More
In environments that use VMware to virtualize servers or desktops, VMware’s Virtual SAN technology delivers the key benefits of SAN storage:
- Like a SAN server network, VSAN provides pooled storage that aggregates the hardware capabilities of multiple server machines.
- Because VSAN is integrated with the VMware hypervisor, and because it utilizes SSDs for intelligent read/write caching, VSAN delivers the outstanding I/O performance that SAN server systems are known for.
- Like conventional SAN systems, VMware VSAN provides a versatile and reliable storage tier that can support diverse workloads and service level agreements.
VMware Virtual SAN also differs from traditional SAN server technology in key respects, including:
- VSAN runs on the same physical servers as your virtual machines, eliminating the need to deploy and maintain a separate storage area network.
- VSAN is simpler to manage than a traditional network storage system—you can administer your VSAN storage layer through the same intuitive VMware tools that you use to administer your VMs.
- With VSAN it’s easy to create and apply storage policies so that each newly deployed VM is automatically allocated appropriate resources in terms of storage I/O performance, data protection, and other storage attributes.
VSAN Ready Systems from the Leading Custom Systems Builder
Thinkmate is the leading builder of custom server, workstation, and storage systems including NAS servers and SAN storage solutions. If you’re considering VMware VSAN as an alternative to a conventional SAN server system, here’s what Thinkmate can do for you:
- We offer a range of certified VSAN Ready servers purpose-built to run VMware’s vSphere® and VSAN software. We can install the software for you, or if you prefer you can install it yourself.
- With nearly 30 years in the custom-built servers business, and customers that range from small businesses to some of the world’s largest corporations and public institutions, we have the experience and expertise to help you find exactly the right solution for your current and projected needs.
- You can count on us for dedicated, personalized customer service that the big box vendors can’t match.
- We provide outstanding warranty terms on all our SAN server systems, NAS systems, and other server and storage solutions.
Configure and Buy
Speak with an Expert Configurator at 1-800-371-1212